Each year the SA geocaching community comes together to recognise great new caches at the SA Geocaching Awards (SAGA) event. The next SAGA event will be held on 31 March 2019 to announce the 2018 SAGA winners (see the event listing for further details).
SAGA awards are decided by the SA Geocaching community who first nominate and then vote on their favourite caches placed in the preceding year. Links to the nomination and voting surveys will be added to the event listing, so be sure to check the listing regularly in February/March. The SAGA committee is also looking for volunteers to help present awards on the day, so please get in touch if you’d like to help.
Awards have been given for the following categories (click on each name to see the previous winners for that category):
- Best overall cache of the year
- Best traditional cache
- Best multi cache
- Best unknown/puzzle cache
- Best event
- Best earthcache
- Best letterbox hybrid
- Best wherigo
- Best regular container
- Best large container
- Best virtual cache (awarded from 2017 onward)
- Best new cache series
- Best mystery/brain teaser cache (real puzzles with difficulty rating of at least 3 stars)
- Most adventurous cache (terrain rating over 3.5 stars)
- Best cache hider of the year
- Best newcomer cache of year (awarded from 2015 onward)
- Most historic cache (awarded in 2011 only)
- Best cache for tourists (awarded in 2011 only)
- Best micro cache (awarded in 2011-2012 only)
- Best small cache (awarded in 2011-2012 only)
- Best themed cache (awarded in 2011-2012 only)
- Most scenic cache (awarded in 2011-2012 only)
- Best camouflaged cache (awarded in 2011-2012 only)
- Most innovative cache (awarded in 2011, 2013-2015 only)
- Best country/rural cache (awarded in 2013-2017 only)
There are a number of rules and guidelines that help to determine the SAGA winners, which can be viewed here.
The current SAGA committee members are: *Cache_or_Check*, SneakySqueaky, travellinbees, SnappyTomCats and Team Critter. New committee members are welcome, just speak with one of the current members to express your interest.